|FAQ||Semester Based Lessons||Casual Lessons|
What are your rates?
How long are the lessons?
We offer 30, 45 and 60 minute private lessons.
Group lessons and ensembles range from 30 – 90 minutes.
Do you have group lessons?
Our group offerings vary from semester to semester. Visit our group page for more details.
Can I take just one lesson?
What’s the difference between casual and semester based lessons?
With our casual lesson option, you may register for 1 – 4 lessons at a time. This might be more suitable for people with busy schedules or who may only want to take a few lessons.
Our semester based lessons allow you to secure the same time each week with the same teacher at a lower lesson rate than our casual lessons. You have the option to withdraw or change teachers within the first two lessons of any given semester. You also have an opportunity to make up missed lessons (see What if I have to miss a lesson?).
For both options, we do require payment in full before a time spot will be held.
How many lessons are in a semester?
How do I choose a teacher?
While some people know who they wish to register with, most of our students arrive with no teacher preference. You can visit our list of lesson availability by instrument or our teacher biographies to help choose. Both areas indicate the minimum age requirements of the different teachers and which days they teach. Once you have a “short list”, you will need to contact to store directly to determine what times are available.
Does a particular teacher have any open times?
You will need to contact the store directly to determine exact availability.
How can I register?
You can register for both Casual and Semester based lessons over the telephone with a credit card or at the store in person. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer web based registration.
When can I register?
You can register for Casual lessons any time during an active semester, no more than 7 days in advance.
New students can register for Semester based lesson any time during an active semester and after the open registration date for upcoming semesters.
Existing Semester based students can register for upcoming semesters during our pre-registration period. Members of existing Semester based students’ families can register for upcoming semesters during our switchestration period.
Registration dates are posted on our Lesson Main Page
What is pre-registration?
Pre-registration is the period when existing Semester based students may register for the next semester. During this time, they may only secure their existing time slots, subject to teacher availability.
What is “Switchestration”?
Switchestration occurs after our pre-registration period for our semester based students. During this time, students from the active semester may change day, time or teacher and other members from their families may also register for the next semester.
What if I want to quit?
While we never like to see our students withdraw, we know that circumstances change.
Semester based students always have the first two lessons of each semester to withdraw and receive a refund for any lessons remaining. Please note, we do require a week’s notice, so be sure to let us know directly after your lesson so we don’t have to charge you for a lesson you won’t be attending.
Casual students who have registered for more than one lesson may withdraw and receive a refund with a full weeks notice.
What if I have to miss a lesson?
If you are taking Spring, Fall or Winter semester based lessons, you are eligible for 1 or 2 make-up lessons (students who register with 6 or fewer lessons remaining in the semester are eligible for a maximum of 1 make-up and those who register with 7 or more lessons remaining in the semester are eligible for a maximum of 2 make-ups). If you are sick, let us know by noon of the day of the lesson. For any other absences, we require one week notice.
Casual students have the same privilege with regards to illness.
How do I book a make-up lesson?
If you have missed a lesson for which you are owed a make-up, please discuss it directly with the teacher at your lesson. The Spring, Fall and Winter semesters each have a week at the end of the session dedicated for make-ups. Teachers may also be available for make-ups during the term if there is a mutually convenient time.
Will I need an instrument?
Yes, you will need an instrument to practice on. If you don’t already have one, you might want to visit our sales and rentals page for options.
Do I need to bring my instrument to my lesson?
Yes, with the exception of drum, piano and harp, you will need to bring your instrument each week. Our harp teacher may also require you to bring your instrument until she is certain you are able to tune it yourself.
What’s the youngest age you accept for students?
Our teachers set their own minimum age. Some take students as young as 4, others have set a higher minimum age. Our list of lesson availability by instrument and our teacher biographies both indicate the minimum age requirements of the different teachers.
What’s the oldest age you accept for students?
We believe no one is too old to take music lessons!
Semester Based Lessons
- Sessions for our semester based lessons are broken down into Fall, Winter and Spring semesters, which align with the public school year and Summer School. Summer School is divided into two months, July & August, and is a stand alone session. Students may register for July or August or both. View our Lesson Schedule page to learn more.
- Payment for the entire semester or, in the case of mid-term registration, for the number of lessons remaining at the time of registration, must be received in order to secure a time slot at the semester based lesson rates. Payment can be made in person at the store or by telephone with the use of a credit card.
|Private Lessons||Group Lessons|
- Refunds are only given up until the student has had their first two lessons and will be pro-rated accordingly. After the second lesson, there are no refunds given for a student who withdraws from lessons. Students may not change teachers after their second lesson in the term.
- Cancellations and Make-ups: There are no refunds for missed lessons. Fall, Winter & Spring students who register with 6 or fewer lessons remaining are eligible for a maximum of one make-up, while those who register with 7 or more lessons remaining are eligible for a maximum of 2 lessons, provided adequate notice is given (see Cancellation Policy below). One week at the end of each semester is reserved for make-up lessons, though teachers may also be available for make-ups during the term if there is a mutually convenient time (please discuss scheduling of make-up lessons directly with the teacher at your lesson). Please contact the store directly in order to provide notice of cancellation or upcoming missed lesson (see details below). There are no make-ups for Group lessons.
- If the student is unable to attend a lesson, please inform us one week in advance.
- In case of sickness, please notify Prussin Music before noon on the lesson day.
- This policy does not apply to group lessons, for which there are no make-ups.
To cancel a lesson, please call the store at (604) 736-3036 or email us with “Student Absence” in the subject line. The staff at Prussin will forward your cancellation information to the teacher. Messages received after store hours will not be passed on to the teacher until the following morning. If a lesson is missed with adequate notice (see Cancellation Policy above), be sure to communicate early with your teacher in order to arrange the most convenient make up time for both of you. While students are able to cancel their lesson at any time, only students who have provided adequate notice will receive make-up lessons. Make-up lessons will not be given to students who do not provide adequate notice.
We are pleased to be introducing casual lessons for those students unable to commit for a full semester. These lessons are able to be booked for 1- 4 occurrences and can be booked any time during an active semester, no more than 7 days in advance.
- $30.00 for 30 minutes
- $45.00 for 45 minutes
- $60.00 for 60 minutes
As with semester based lessons, we do require payment before a time slot will be held for casual lessons and this can be done in person or by phone with a credit card.